one time, one meeting

It has been a good old nine months since I had the time to actually sit down and pen down some thoughts, surprisingly not in the comforts of my home but in the office, right now all alone.

People often ask, “Eh brudder you go where find all these energy to talk to people and hang around ah?” “You don’t feel old meh"?” “Eh whole day talk here talk there not sian meh” “You got some many things to talk about meh?”

他妈的林北当然会累啦…… But it is inevitable, given the nature of my job as a financial advisor.
手停口停, what to do? Life doesn’t care if you are tired; Life just want you to pamper her and make her feel good.



One thing I appreciate about myself is I always feel the need to seek refuge in having “me time”. After all it has always been an “expectation” that I am always there for others, I spend time hanging out with friends, I am talking non-stop, etc…… However the reality is, I need (want, rather) to reach office at 7am everyday, sit at Ya Kun with a 《联合早报》 and read how people bitch about Hong Kong protestors, while thinking about my next step for the day and the week. I come to office on random weekends to settle my admin stuff and leave some time reflecting on what I have done and the criticisms I receive in the week.

Yes. It is important to think about what people say about you. Maybe I am sensy, but if you really fucked things up then grow the balls to face the music lah.

……What about wrongful criticisms then……? Should I be defensive about it?

I think I used to be so. Like the typical “where got?!” kinda response guy. Well but it should have been a 有则改之无则加勉 thingy, isn’t it? Even if those accusations are true, don’t you think it is a good reminder to ourselves that we avoid becoming the type of person that is being criticised?
I was taught to aim towards being professional in my field of work. That is to say, to acquire professional knowledge and maintain a professional outlook----I still have quite some room for improvement indeed. To make this process faster, after every appointment I ask for questions and criticisms from the prospect/client, because I want to BE BETTER.

他山之石,可以攻玉;没有人比身边的人更能够激励你成长了。每一次与客户的会面都是一场互惠的关系,其互相增值的程度跟服务或交易金额,而是彼此的对话让我们在心智上、精神上有多少滋养。作为一个靠 appointments 而生存的人士,就更应该珍惜这一生一次的机会了。日本人喜欢说“一期一会”,正是这个意思吧。 It’s a cultural concept of treasuring the unrepeatable nature of any moment----even if the same group of people get together in the same place once again, any prior particular gathering can NEVER be replicated.

The Japanese tea master Sen no Rikyū 千利休 (1522-1591) said:
路地へ入るより出いでずるまで、
一期に一度の会のように、
亭主を敬畏すべし。
世間雑談、無用也。
In life, there is no chance to “try again”. Just move on and BE BETTER.

A well-deserved summer break for us.



Just some random thoughts after a “birthday supper” with a few close S House friends. It’s funny how one could clique with a group of juniors who are at least 3-5 years younger, but I guess it keeps my outlook a bit more youthful?
随遇而安。无法自由选择之事,只有从容面对。

Popular posts from this blog

午后闲情

你老母的2017

Intern 十日新人 ​