Blackout

My fifth day in Toronto. A huge blackout. Streetlights no longer worked, the subway is down, and there goes my heating. Yes I didn't bathe that day.

I miss home. This won't happen in Singapore.
Or maybe it would,  but the water won't be as cold anyway.

Looks like we've been taking some things for granted.
居安思危, that's how the Chinese put it. Always be prepared for the unexpected.
You never know what kind of shit is going to happen, so always be prepared for the worst.

That said, this power outage gave me the perfect opportunity from escapibg from the evil claws of Facebook and Whatsapp. Seriously, give me some peace. Sometimes I really wonder if those who click LIKE on whatever shit I post actually LIKE it. And stop spamming rubbish onto my phone, I am not exactly interested on which chiobu you saw just now and all the work you want to give me (after which you realise, oh no HE IS NOT IN SINGAPORE, when I reminded you last week on the same damn whatsapp convo).

Think about how life was when the internet wasn't invented. Thomas Edison didn't have internet; he made the light bulb. Alexander Bell didn't have internet; he made the telephone. You were born without internet; you're still alive anyway.

I've got a couple of projects on hand. Too much procrastination on the internet makes me lose focus sometimes. Facebook (and the games up there) takes up more than half an hour easily. Right now without internet (it's 7am right now in Toronto) I am gonna sit down and do some real work on these projects and then finish my readings. Yeah I brought the Chinese Studies and Sociology readings along with me (which I have read some and decided that, screw Chinese Studies because it's not gonna be easy) so I'm gonna finish reading them at the café two streets down which has power while charging my family's dying phones.

Well the Internet isn't that useless, one might say. Perhaps if you are looking for ideas and pictures then the internet is really the saviour. But if you're another man without self-discipline (like me, unfortunately) then I guess we should just make do with libraries and go online only in Starbucks.

Hope the café isn't too crowded. It was filled with tons of Chinese. And everyone had a laptop/iPad/iPhone/whatever electronic device that requires charging on their table, with a cup of bubble tea. Ciaos.

Popular posts from this blog

午后闲情

你老母的2017

Intern 十日新人 ​